- Calculation Tools
- Online Training
- Corporate Standard Training Webinar
- Scope 2 Guidance Training Webinar
- Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard Online Course
- Product Life Cycle Standard Online Course
- Designing MRV Systems for Entity-Level Greenhouse Gas Emissions Online Course
- Mitigation Goal Standard Online Course
- Policy and Action Standard Online Course
- Review Service
Call for Short Term Consultants
Posted: February 23, 2017
Application Deadline: March 10, 2017
With the adoption of the Paris Agreement at the end of 2015, over 190 countries committed to keep global warming well below 2ºC, and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius aiming to reach net zero emissions in the second half of the century. The Paris Agreement provides an unequivocal sign to investors, businesses, and governments about the direction of travel for the economy in the years to come.
The Science Based Targets initiative is a joint initiative by CDP, the UN Global Compact, the World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for nature (WWF) that provides a first-ever approach on how companies can set greenhouse gas emission reduction targets in line with science says is necessary to meet the long-term temperature goals adopted in the Paris Agreement. More than 200 companies have committed to set these ‘science-based targets’.
To expand capacity and accelerate commercial uptake, the Science Based Targets initiative is seeking short-term consultants to support the team as external company target reviewers. Experts with a expertise in the fields of GHG accounting and company GHG emissions target-setting are invited to submit application materials to the initiative. Experts will work an average of 40 hours per week from the beginning of April through June 30, 2017. Contractual details will be discussed with qualified candidates.
Key reviewer responsibilities
- Review of company targets against the Science Based Targets initiative eligibility criteria.
- Production of clear and concise target evaluation reports using the Science Based Targets template.
- Close coordination with the Science Based Targets initiative staff.
Postgraduate degree in a related area (environmental sciences, climate science, environmental engineering, etc.).
- Individuals with strong technical understanding of GHG accounting and demonstrated in a related field (e.g. carbon management, GHG accounting, environmental of at least 3 years (at least 5 preferred) and a firm understanding of the GHG Protocol Standard
- Demonstrable experience working with third-party verification activities related to climate change, carbon accounting or sustainability reporting is highly desirable.
Required skills and competencies
- A clear understanding of climate science, climate policy and the business drivers and levers ambitious climate action at the corporate level
- Knowledge of science-based target setting
- Ability to work virtually with an international team Strong attention to detail, thoroughness and sound judgment
- Commitment and ability to meet all deadlines and to respond to priority issues in a short timeframe
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly
- Organizational and time management skills
- Competence in standard professional IT packages such as Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Ability to work in a team, maintaining a positive and supportive attitude at all times
Applicants must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Preferred locations for this position are New York or Mexico City. Applicants from other locations may considered.
Selected applicants will be compensated on a monthly basis at a competitive rate, with details to be discussed with qualified candidates.
Conflict of interest
Applicants are required to disclose any real, potential, and perceived conflict of interests. If an expert supports companies in developing science-based targets, he/she can still be eligible to serve as external reviewer, but he/she will not be involved in reviewing targets for companies that they have previously supported.
Application Requirements and Deadline
Interested experts are invited to send a resume, covering letter, and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org including in the email subject line “Application for External Reviewer” and their full name. The Science Based Targets initiative will only respond to qualified applicants.
Applications close on March 10, 2017
Selected applicants must be available for interviews between March 14 and 24, 2017.