- Calculation Tools
- Online Training
- Review Service
Policy and Action Standard Online Course
The Policy and Action Standard Online Course is designed to help policymakers and analysts estimate and report the change in GHG emissions resulting from policies and actions.
The course is based on the GHG Protocol Policy and Action Standard. It has been designed to help users estimate the GHG impact of policies and actions to inform policy design, improve policy effectiveness in reducing emissions, meet domestic or international emissions reporting objectives, and ensure that efforts to reduce emissions are achieving their intended results.
After completing the course, users will be able to:
- Understand key concepts and terminology used in the Policy and Action Standard
- Clearly define a policy or action, decide whether to assess an individual policy or a package of related policies, and choose whether to carry out an ex-ante or ex-post assessment
- Identify all potential GHG effects of the policy or action
- Define the GHG assessment boundary, i.e., determine which potential GHG effects are significant enough to estimate
- Estimate emissions under the baseline scenario, i.e., in the absence of the policy or action
- Estimate the greenhouse gas effects of the policy or action, either ex-ante (forward looking) or ex-post (backward looking)
- Define key performance indicators and monitor the performance of a policy or action over time
- Evaluate sources of uncertainty in a GHG assessment
- Understand the benefits, key concepts, and types of verification that can be pursued
- Know the information that must be reported (related to the results of the assessment and methodology followed) in order for an assessment to be in conformance with the standard
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSAbode Flash Player is required to view some videos in the online courses. If you plan to use a computer provided to you by an employer, organization or university, check with your system administrator to make sure that your computer is equipped to run flash.
- How long does a training take?
The training course typically takes 6-12 hours total to complete. It can be taken at any time.
- Should I be familiar with the Policy and Action Standard before taking the online course on the standard?
The course is based on the Policy and Action Standard and has been designed to assist in the application of the standard. Each topic contains a reference to the standard that points to the relevant topics and page numbers within the standard itself. Familiarity with the Policy and Action Standard is not necessary but users are strongly encouraged to refer to the standard along with the online course for maximum benefit.
- Will I get a completion certificate?
Yes! For those who would like to receive a certificate for completion of the course, please ensure that you visit each of the module topics, view the presentations, and attempt the quizzes. You must receive a grade of 75% or higher on the final examination in the Course Summary module.
- How long do I have access to the training?
The course is available free of charge and you can access it anytime.
- Who should I contact with any other questions I have?
Contact Paul Ryberg, email@example.com for further assistance.