Last Updated: February 2022
Welcome to the Greenhouse Gas Protocol. This document lets the user of these Services (“You”, “Your”) know what you get when you use the Greenhouse Gas Protocol website (ghgprotocol.org) and the related Greenhouse Gas Protocol Learning Home Page (lambdastore.net) (Collectively, the “Websites”), and what We expect in return.
Greenhouse Gas Protocol, “GHG Protocol”, “we”, “our” or “us” is an initiative managed by World Resources Institute (“WRI”) and World Business Council for Sustainable Development (“WBCSD”). These terms of service (“Terms of Service” or “Terms”) govern your access to and use of the Websites, and any other online services (collectively, the “Services”) provided by GHG Protocol, including any content, functionality, features and applications offered on or through the Services to you as a guest or registered user. We may update and modify any portion of the Services and/or the Terms at any time and reserve the right to discontinue any of the Services at any time. To the extent we make any material changes to our Terms that may restrict your rights or limit your access to the Services, we will provide prominent notice of such changes via the Services you are using (either on the site or via email). Your use of the Services after an update to the Terms constitutes your agreement to the updated Terms.
By accepting these Terms, and accessing the Services, you are: (1) entering into a binding agreement with GHG Protocol; (2) acknowledging that you agree to all of the terms in these Terms; and (3) certifying that you are over the age of majority in your jurisdiction. If you do not agree to these Terms, you are not authorized to use the Services.
The following rules are a condition of your use of and access to the Services.
- No Interference. You may not interfere with any other user’s ability to use or enjoy the Services.
- Be Yourself. You may not impersonate any person or entity, nor falsely state or otherwise misrepresent yourself, your age, or your affiliation with any person or entity.
- Don’t Damage the Services or Our Servers. You may not knowingly or intentionally take any action that may impose an unreasonable burden or load on the Service or its servers and infrastructures. You may not upload, post or otherwise distribute or facilitate the distribution of a software virus or any other computer code that is designed or intended to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of the Services, nor may you attempt to obtain.
- No Unauthorized Access. You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems or networks connected to the Services, GHG Protocol Content (as defined below) or any information contained therein for any unlawful purpose. You also agree that you will not use any robot, spider, rover, scraper, other data mining technology or automatic or manual process to monitor, cache, frame, mask, extract data from, copy or distribute the Services (including its source code or object code or any portion thereof) or GHG Protocol Content (except as it may be a result of a standard Internet browser or search engine).
- No Commercial Use. You may not modify, frame, reproduce, archive, sell, lease, rent, exchange, create derivative works from, publish by hard copy or electronic means, publicly perform, display, disseminate, distribute, broadcast, retransmit, circulate to any third party or on any third-party web site, or otherwise use the Services or the GHG Protocol Content for any public or commercial purpose except as specifically permitted by these Terms.
- No Criminal or Unlawful Conduct. You may not use the Services, GHG Protocol Content or any information contained therein for any unlawful purpose, and you may not encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense or give rise to civil liability. You may not use the Services in connection with any site or other use that contains or is associated with information or content prohibited by this section.
We reserve the right to take, or refrain from taking, any and all steps available to us, including suspending or terminating your access to the Services or seeking other legal or equitable remedies, if we become aware of a material violation of these provisions.
Please protect the security of Your Account. You are responsible for Your use of the Services and all activity that occurs under Your Account. Notify us immediately of any unauthorized uses of your account, store, or website, or of any other breach of security.
We may cancel or suspend Your access to the Services at any time and for any reason, without notice. Upon cancellation or suspension, Your right to use the Services will end.
3. OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND LIMITED LICENSE TO YOU
All copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress and other intellectual property rights (collectively, “IP Assets”) in the Services are owned by GHG Protocol or our licensors. Except as we specifically agree in writing, no element of the Services (including any source or object code contained therein) may be used or exploited in any way other than as part of the Services offered to you. Your use of the e-Learning Services shall be solely limited to your personal, non-commercial use.
The Services contain images, audio, video, and other material that is derived in whole or in part from material supplied and owned by GHG Protocol as well as third parties we work with (collectively, “GHG Protocol Content”). As between GHG Protocol and you, GHG Protocol owns all right, title and interest in and to IP Assets throughout the world associated with the GHG Protocol Content. You acknowledge GHG Protocol’s valid intellectual and proprietary property rights in the GHG Protocol Content and agree not to take action in contravention of those rights. Nothing in these Terms shall be deemed to convey to you any right, title or interest in or to the GHG Protocol Content or to any portion thereof except for the limited rights expressly granted herein. Any unauthorized use of the GHG Protocol Content is strictly prohibited.
Nothing in these Terms gives you a right to use any of GHG Protocol’s IP Assets, domain names, and other distinctive brand features, unless GHG Protocol has explicitly agreed otherwise in writing.
Our License to You
GHG Protocol gives you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to access the Services for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services in the manner permitted by these Terms. Your failure to keep all copyright or other proprietary notices intact will void this license. You may not modify GHG Protocol Content or Services or allow a third party to do so. Unless explicitly stated herein, nothing in these Terms shall be construed as conferring any license to any intellectual property rights, whether by estoppel, implication or otherwise. You may not use the Services or GHG Protocol Content in any manner that suggests that you have an association with GHG Protocol.
Any use of the Services or GHG Protocol Content by you other than as specifically authorized herein is strictly prohibited and will terminate the license granted herein. Unauthorized use may also violate government laws, including copyright and trademark laws and communications regulations and statutes. This license is revocable by GHG Protocol at any time without notice and with or without cause.
4. THIRD-PARTY CONTENT
The Services incorporate content, data, and information from others, including You. While We may review any content, and remove it if We determine it violates the law or Our policies, We do not commit to review all content, and You should not rely on Us to do so. If you believe any content violates the law or Our policies, please contact us at email@example.com and provide us with a brief description of Your concerns. Your message should include contact information that will allow us to request additional information and any documentary evidence you may have to support your concerns.
You must comply with the licenses of all data and datasets on the Website. All content displayed on or accessible through the Services is protected by United States copyright laws or their equivalents in other countries. You should review the dataset’s metadata to understand these restrictions.
5. DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATIONS
1. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES AND ITS CONTENT IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICES AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. ACTUAL CONDITIONS MAY DIFFER FROM MAPS AND INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE SERVICES. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE CONTENT OR SERVICES WILL BE ERROR FREE, ACCURATE OR WITHOUT INTERRUPTION.
2. WHEN USING THE SERVICES YOU MAY BE EXPOSED TO USER SUBMISSIONS AND OTHER THIRD PARTY CONTENT ("NON-GHG PROTOCOL CONTENT"), AND SOME OF THIS CONTENT MAY BE INACCURATE, OFFENSIVE, INDECENT, OR OTHERWISE OBJECTIONABLE. WE DO NOT ENDORSE ANY NON- GHG PROTOCOL CONTENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE BE LIABLE FOR OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE NON- GHG PROTOCOL CONTENT, INCLUDING FOR ANY INACCURACIES, ERRORS, OR OMISSIONS IN ANY NON- GHG PROTOCOL CONTENT, ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT WITH REGARD TO ANY NON- GHG PROTOCOL CONTENT, OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY NON- GHG PROTOCOL CONTENT.
3. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF PROFITS, DATA, OR USE OR COST OF COVER) RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR THEIR CONTENTS, EVEN IF WE WERE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL CLAIMS OR DAMAGES FOR ANY REASON IN EXCESS OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100 USD). CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY, AND THEREFORE SOME OR ALL OF THE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS, OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
6. DMCA COMPLIANCE
If You are a copyright owner or an agent thereof, and believe that any content on the Services infringes Your copyrights, You may send a notice in writing to GHG Protocol E-mail: [firstname.lastname@example.org] with the following information:
- Your signature as a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the exact location on the Services of copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works on the Services are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works as located on the Services;
- The address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the complaining party;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
7. ADDITIONAL TERMS
- We reserve the right to modify these Terms at any time. All changes are effective immediately upon posting on the Website. You should review these terms regularly for changes. Your continued use of the Services after any such changes constitutes Your binding acceptance of the updated Terms.
- The laws of the State of Delaware, U.S.A., excluding New York's conflict of laws provisions, apply to any dispute about the Services, their content or these Terms. The U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods doesn't apply. If we have a disagreement related to these Terms, or Your or Our performance under them that we cannot resolve between us, then we agree to have them finally resolved in arbitration using either (i) the International Arbitration Rules of the International Dispute Resolution Centre of the American Arbitration Association, if You are located outside of the United States, or (ii) the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association, if You are located in the United States. We agree to follow this paragraph if it differs from those rules. There will be only one arbitrator if our disagreement involves less than $250,000. If our disagreement involves more than $250,000, then we each appoint one arbitrator, and those two arbitrators choose a third. We agree that the arbitrators will not have the power to award either of us any damages that are not consistent with Section 6 (Disclaimers and Limitations) of these Terms. The arbitration will be in Washington, DC, USA, and will be conducted in English. Unless we agree or one of us shows its essential, there will not be any formal discovery in our arbitration. The arbitrators can award costs and attorney’s fees against one of us, or divide them between us. We understand that any court with jurisdiction will enforce the decisions from the arbitration and enter judgment on them.
- If We do not promptly enforce the Terms, We have not given up any other rights or the right to enforce them or other Terms in the future.
- If any particular provision of these Terms is not enforceable, that doesn't affect the enforceability of any other provision of the Terms.
- These Terms are between You and Us, and no one else can enforce them.
- These Terms are the entire statement of the agreement between You and Us regarding the Services and their contents.
- If you have any additional questions or concerns about these Terms of Service, please contact us at: [email@example.com].